November 10, 2011

Temptation Thursday 6

I've always been curious to see if I could write a YA book. The stories are there on the tip of my tongue, but can I pull off the sexual tension without the sex and make the book work? Can I create a world that teens and adults alike will find believable and want to get swept up in? Those are all questions I've asked myself, and until now I've never spread my wings and tried this genre. I'm working on a story now that will hopefully become at least a 3 books series.

I'm naming the first one Wicked Intentions, and I'm going to share with you a little snippet of what I have written so far.....


Doom filled me when I stepped onto the sidewalk in front of Apple Valley High. I hadn’t approved of being uprooted right before the start of my senior year, and looking at the archaic structure before me, I was dreading the change even more.
My mother and I had only been in town a few days, though my father had come at the beginning of summer to start his new job, and I hadn’t seen the school before now. The smart thing would have been to show up a week early and take a tour so I wouldn’t be lost, but I wanted to spend every moment I could with my friends in Tucson before I had to leave. I didn’t like the idea of starting over, and knew in my heart that I’d never call Apple Valley home.
“You’ll adjust,” my mother had said when I left the house for school. “You’re likeable enough, and you’ll make new friends in no time.”
I didn’t want new friends. I wanted the people I’d grown up with, the ones who knew me inside and out and still loved me. I wanted Tyler, Kayce, and most of all, my boyfriend Austyn.
Someone had taken the time to hand-make a sign that hung above the main doors welcoming students back, but looking at the building as I inched closer to my demise, I didn’t feel very welcome. I didn’t belong there, that much I knew, and somehow it seemed the building knew it, too. If structures were alive, this one was definitely glaring at me.
I took out my cell phone and snapped a picture of the school. On the screen of my phone, the building looked even more menacing. I sent the photo off to Austyn with a sad face, and then pocketed my cell phone.
I stepped forward, the nauseous feeling in my stomach growing, ready to face my first day. In my opinion, things couldn’t get much worse in my life. Boy, was I clueless.

1 comment: